Technology has transformed the production of transformer coils. The speed of production, precision, and automation are the key focus of modern coil winding machines. Tuboly Astronic has several modern machines for all types of winding jobs, from wire to foil coils. Below is a look into the various series of automatic coil winding machines in our collection.
High-voltage automatic coil winding machines
The machines in this category are suitable for producing coils for distribution transformers. You can use them for a strip or layer insulation. The key features of the automatic coil winding machines in this category are:
- Strip insulation technology: It helps in the build-up of a conical layer of insulation. The technology ensures automatic filling of the ends of the coil. It also allows you to program each layer to ensure it can withstand the voltage impact it will experience.
- A guiding unit with a dancer-regulated brake system: The dancer in the wire guiding unit controls the braking system to ensure that the tension of the wire remains constant even in circular or conical shapes. All crucial part is to pre-set the required tension levels from the control panel.
- Proven flattening unit: Flat wires have a higher filling factor than round ones, which makes them suitable to achieve smaller coil dimensions. This flattening unit helps you achieve this by flattening round wires to an adjustable height.
- Tuboly Astronic winding software: Modern winding machines are modular and automatic. This support software simplifies the automation coil winding processes by offering an interface for programming the machines. You can use it to automate and control the process from the beginning to the end.
- Winder: It comprises an AC-motor-driven faceplate and a motorised sliding tailstock. You can opt for a flange or a rotating centre sleeve for the tailstock.
There are three main series of HV winding machines on Tuboly Astronic, WHC, WHD, and WHL.
WHC automatic coil winding machine series
The WHC coil winding machines are suitable for distribution transformers that can handle 600KVA. They do not need any manual intervention as they come with automatic cutting and reattachment of strip insulation. The Tuboly Astronic software pre-calculates and executes all the required stop points.
You can opt for versions with the following options:
- A winding mandrel.
- A pneumatic expansion system for the winding mandrel.
- A decoiler for full-width insulation.
WHD automatic coil winding machine series
They are suitable for coils that handle up to 3000KVA and use strip insulation. The machines in this series allow for automatic build up of concial layer by strip insulation technologie. This is done simultaneously with winding the conductor. It comes with a separate end filler-inserting unit that makes it easy to achieve the right filler height when using conductors with a large cross-section.
Like the WHC series, they do not require any manual intervention from the start to the end. Some of the available options are:
- LV coil clamping adapters or winding mandrels.
- A decoiler for rectangular wires.
- Overhead round wire de-coilers.
- Winders with manual swivelling counter bearing.
- A decoiler for full-width insulation.
WHL automatic coil winding machine series
These machines come with all the cutting-edge features of the other HV coil winding machines but are primarily for full-width insulation.
Low voltage coil winding machines
LV-Coil winding machines
These are machines for winding coils for small and medium-sized distribution transformers. Tuboly Astronic produces two versions of machines for low voltage coils. One series uses cold-pressure welding, and the other TIG welding .
The critical features of the FCCT automatic coil winding machine series are:
- Conductor foil decoiler: A winding machine in the FCCT series comes with one or two foil decoilers with each having a programmed braking system to maintain the tension of the foil. The decoiler also comes with an automatic foil edge control system.
- TIG welding unit: It is automatically controlled by a guiding system that ensures accurate and fast welding. An integrated motor rotates the unit to make it easy to install and weld a thick foil.
- Expandable decoilers:. The machine can be equipped with one or two decoilers.
Available options for FCCT machines include:
- Protection paper re-winder.
- Foil edge treatment device.
- Foil cleaning device
- Coil unloading device.
- Insulation edge trimming device.
HV-Foil winding machines
FHV coil winding machine series
Tuboly Astronic leads in the production of automatic HV foil winding machines (FHV series) used for cast-resin transformers.
The advantages of critical features
There are several standard features and benefits of the HV foil winding machines discussed above. The features include:
- A winder.
- Two or Three Insulation decoilers.
- TIG welding unit
- A conductor foil decoiler with a dancer-controlled braking system.
As a result, some of the advantages of these machines are:
- Continuous and precise winding process.
- Constant and controlled insulation tension.
- Automatic calculation of stop points and lead-outs.
- Automatic foil-edge control.
Vertical winding machines
VF and VP series
The semi-automatic winding machines are the ideal solutions for producing the coils of power transformers. The main advantage of these machines is the pre-calculation of stop points and automatic bending machines. As a result, they significantly reduce the winding time. They come in two main categories:
- VP automatic coil winding machine series: They are pit versions of vertical automatic winding machines.
- VF automatic coil winding machine series: They are the floor versions.
The advantages of critical features
- Double bending station: It makes it possible to bend one or two CTC or single conductors separately but side by side. The bending points are pre-calculated, but the bending lengths and height are adjustable.
- Multiple bending stations: It allows bending of up to eight single conductors individually on top of each other.
- Multiple plate brake: The system works in a manner that makes it possible to wind in both directions.
Horizontal winding machines
HW automatic coil winding machine series
They serve the same purpose as vertical winding machines, with the main difference being the orientation of the workstation. They come with a conductor pressing device, in addition to decoiler systems and multiple plate brake systems.
A modern automatic coil winding machine is the right solution for coil manufacturers who value speed and precision. Tuboly Astronic machines bear not only the Swiss quality and innovative technology but also unlimited remote support.
Coil Winding Machines Features and Specifications by Tuboly Astronic
At Tuboly Astronic, our expert Swiss engineering team has been developing high-tech machinery designed for the production of transformers for the last three decades. This means we have gained a great deal of knowledge about the sort of features and specifications that users of modern coil winding machines seek. Consequently, our knowledge and expertise are shown in the hardware we produce for our world-class coil winding machines – but it doesn’t end there.
You can also find our industry experience being brought to bear with the software and system integration options we provide. We aim to equip our clients with features that can bring about the highest possible efficiency. When it comes to coil winding machines, we think that you will find no more reliable systems than those we design and manufacture. Nor will you be able to beat the particular array of machine features on offer from within our ranges. Read on to find out the specifications appropriate to your needs and why our range is world-leading.
The Coil Winding Ranges Made by Tuboly Astronic
Before discussing all of the features and specifications you might expect from one of our coil winding machines, it will be worth examining the Tuboly Astronic range. Not only do we manufacture special machines for our clients to meet exact specifications for their particular requirements, but we also produce core manufacturing systems.
Among the core manufacturing options on offer are stacking systems and core cutting lines. However, we are probably best known for the features found in our highly rated coil winding machines. Within this range, you will find both horizontal and vertically arranged coil winding systems designed for industrial use. Tuboly Astronic’s expert engineers also design a fantastic array of foil winding machines, of the HV and LV varieties.
We make feature-rich systems for instrument transformer winding as well as three product ranges for different types of HV coil wire winding; the WHD series, the WHC series and the WHL series. As such, there is an incredible amount of choice for products within our ranges. The degree of versatility on offer is even greater when you consider all of the optional features and particular specifications available within our extensive product range. Let’s examine a few of those features in more detail to give you a better idea.
Wire Guiding Units and Dancers
Our superb dancer systems are features that nearly all of our coil winding machines can be supplied with from day one. These devices regulate the motor-powered brake rollers of your winding unit. As such, they help to maintain the pre-selected wire tension at a constant level and can do so without physical intervention, simply by adjusting the control panel. In addition, they can be used to produce oval or even rectangular coil shapes if that is what your winding project calls for. These wire guiding units and their corresponding dancer-regulated brake systems will bring about a superb layer build-up even when high winding speeds are in operation.
End Filler Insertion Systems
This is a feature found in many of the wire winding systems produced as Tuboly Astronic. In cases where a large conductor cross-section may be built up by the coil winding machine, an end filler strip system can be offered. In short, this will be inserted via a separate guiding unit over and above the two usual insulation strips. These systems are incredibly reliable and, to obtain the desired end filler height, the required amount of end filler strip can be calculated for you. This is conducted by our own machine software system and will even be cut automatically for excellent results every time.
Flattening units constitute a popular feature, which means that round enamel insulated wires can be rolled flat. What’s more, they can do so with an adjustable height, which makes them incredibly versatile for all sorts of coil winding jobs. The main benefit of flattening round wires during winding is that a higher filling factor can be achieved. This results in smaller coil dimensions and a reduction in the amount of conductor material being used. Flattening units also result in lower tank volumes. This can add up to significant savings in transformer manufacturing costs.
Foil Winding Machine Features At a Glance
Avoiding unnecessary loss in foil winding is a big issue in the transformer production industry. Our FCCT series of foil winders deal with this in a number of different ways. These machines are specified to run at either 20 or 25 RPMs, depending on the system chosen. As well as helping to maintain an even foil winding process, this means that coil diameters of up to 900 mm can be achieved without significant loss.
Furthermore, our FCCT winding systems can be fitted with either one or two foil decoilers. These operate with a separate foil edge control system for even better results. Other features you can expect of these advanced winding machines include a motorised roller knife. This can cut foil at pre-calculated positions. We also offer remote support and diagnostics and up to two extendable insulation decoilers. In short, our foil winding systems are just as feature-rich as our wire coil winding machines.
An Overview of Vertical Coil Winding Machine Specifications
Running in a suitably specified PC that is installed with Windows, the winding system software is capable of pre-calculating all the required stopping points you might want with a vertical coil winding machine. This package will oversee the entire winding process with working steps reported to the operator as required. When working in a vertical arrangement, different winding mandrels may be beneficial.
Our VP and VF series of vertical coil winding machines are equipped with a faceplate that allows for many mandrels to be used. Another important feature is that a hydraulic swivelling counter bearing can be used to offer augmented support to the mandrel. Other things our customers can specify in our vertical winding systems are double bending stations, multiple bending stations and multiple plate brakes, as required. With pressing forces of up to 20,000 N catered for and various other accessories on offer, the sky is the limit with these machines.
If some of the features and specification options described in this article will benefit your business, then do not hesitate to get in touch with us. We will be happy to discuss your requirements and see how we can help. Just complete our contact form for a professional response.